Saturday, June 5, 2010

SAP Core Banking and Big Bang Methodologies?

SAP Core Banking and Big Bang Methodologies?

My last post was on April/9. And today is June/5. Wow two months passed and no posting from my side.

In these two months, a lot of changes happen to my life. I got a new job as an independent contractor in new company, as a SAP Banking Functional Business Analyst. I have to relocate to new place. And new job keep me so dam busy, that I near about forget to post a blog.

My company is implementing full SAP Core Banking suite from end to end. Program is in very critical stage. They are following SAP ASAP methodologies. Whenever I join new project I always ask superior project members, what methodologies project is following and where we are at this time?
But unfortunately in this project the project lead is such a rookie on SDLC methodologies, that she have no idea where the hell project is going and I was told project is following Big Bang methodologies.
My first reaction was, excuse me… what… say it again.

Lead says, “Yes we are following Big Bang methodologies to implement SAP Core banking”.

Me, “Are you telling me, you guys are implementing SAP Core banking, which is huge elephant, with Big Bang.” Just like that, one day first of May/2011 everyone wakeup and SAP Core banking in production and whole company business is live, WOW…”

“Yes”, said lead.

And in my mind, I was thinking, “she doesn’t have any idea what she is talking”. And train of thoughts start running in my mind.

What!, SAP core banking and Big Bang methodologies??

How the hell, can someone implement $ 100 millions dollars project with big bang. My mind was very uneasy about this idea.

I left the lead. Came at my desk and do some research. Open solution manager and started to hunt down methodologies documents.

After reading lots of papers and documents in solution manager, I get some information.

First thing is they are following SAP-ASAP. Seconds thing is, yes they going GO-LIVE on 1st May/2011, as per project management documents and project roadmap. They are telling everyone that 30th April/211 is end of Final Preparation phase and start of Go Live & Start phase.
My experience enlighten me, that’s not possible, yes they will put something in Prod. Or whatever is ready after end to end testing they will put in Prod. And then they make second or third iteration of big Release.
May be I’m coming from this kind school, which believe in iterative methodologies is best suitable for big program like SAP Core banking.

That’s what happened in FCC. FCC was following RUP/Agile methodologies.
I think a RUP/Agile methodology is only best methodologies to implement big programs like SAP Core banking. I think a SAP- ASAP methodology is same as waterfall methodologies. First come Project Preparation and then fall Business Blueprint and then fall Realization and the fall Final Preparation phase and the last Go Live & Support. This is pure Water Fall methodology. And lately SAP just add feedback or a small iterative in ASAP methodologies. Because Agile is going super hit and they also want some part of Agile, so SAP add feedback in its own methodologies.

But truth is SAP ASAP methodologies is waterfall methodologies.

2 comments:

  1. ITC Infotech leverages its vast experience managing large enterprise implementation projects along with SAP - Accelerated SAP (ASAP) methodology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all this information. I think you make very valid points and I appreciate them and agree with you.SAP HR Online Training

    ReplyDelete